Chiajna Monastery is just outside of the capital of Romania, Bucharest. Construction began sometime between 1774 and 1782, when Alexander Ypsilanti reighed. It wasn't finished until Phanariote Nicholas Mavrogenes filled in 1786 to 1790. It is 43 m (141 ft) long and 18 m (53 ft) long, and the walls are 1-2 m (3-6.5 ft), making it quite a large building for the times.
The church was meant to be a place of importance for the local religion. However, it was never meant to be as it never got properly blessed. The Monastery was abandoned early in its construction.
Some people say that the monastery began being build in 1792, but was abandoned during the time of plague. At the time, Mihai Sutu was prince. However, this fact is unconfirmed. The tower collapsed in 1977 due to an earthquake.
Legend says that the old church was bombarded by the Ottoman Turks, thinking it was a military objective to be destroyed. Because of this, the building still remained standing but the documents wer completely destroyed.
Locals say that the bell was cast into Dâmbovita River. But, on full moon nights, the bell can still be heard.
On the wall on the right of the entrance, about the middle of the wall, a few feet high, detaching plaster has formed into the appearance of a lady or angel. Some even thing it resembles the Sphinx of Giza or a Romanian Sphinx.
Over the years the monastery has been built, a large number of disappearances have been reported, mainly from the neighbouring Roma people. There was also a murder before 1990 on the grounds, and another murder after that same year.